Monday, March 16, 2015

Hum Hain to Kya Gum Hai!


I get bogged down by this consistently demanding universe.  Pollution, corruption, traffic jams, doubly getting taxed on expenditure from already taxed salary, vendors trying to extract every extra rupee from my pockets, politicians making absurd comments and everything else around these things are a constant source of frustration and despair.  Then there are middle class aspirations of owning a good car, having a good house(https://housing.com/), some bank balance and arranging for my retirement. All this sometimes feel so heavy that I feel like running away from all this and live a nomadic life. I believe this is the case for many people who are like me.

While all of the factors mentioned above keep pulling me down, there is one person who always makes me feel confident that all these problems are trivial and all this can be overcome with just a smile. That person is no one but my mother. Her strength in adverse conditions, her ability to manage situations and her way of solving problems makes me wonder about material that she is made of.

She makes me believe in a world where giving is more important than receiving. She makes me believe in transcendental love and complete devotion. She makes me feel that she will make things easy for me whenever I set out to achieve them.

I remember the day she set out to get our homebuilt in our ancestral village. There was a lot of opposition from neighbours and our relatives. I was about 5 years old. I do not remember the details but I know that she had to run from pillar to post managing finances, making sure that contractors were working properly, ensuring sufficient supply of building construction material, neighbours and relatives were in check and all this working full time as a teacher in the government primary school.

I get tired just commuting to my office and then surviving through the day while she did many times more than that and yet found time to be around me. This remains close to my heart probably because this whole thing gave me the home (https://housing.com/), where I spent all of my childhood.

She has managed every aspect of our lives and built her life around us putting us first, way before her own comfort, convenience or pleasure.

Even today when I am married and way older than what she was when she got built my first home, she still takes every step to ensure that I get all her help in fulfilling my aspirations.

Every time she sees me worried about anything she would always say “Hum hain to kya gum hai ?? (What’s the worry when I am here)” and that always cheers me up. I #lookup to her for courage and strength.

 

No comments: